By Ru Anderson | BSc (HONS)
Performance Nutritionist, Author, Speaker,
Competitive Athlete & Owner of Exceed Nutrition
This fruit bread is a interesting change from the typical banana bread! This version is filled with blueberries, which are a natural wonderfood. It is a simple and delicious recipe, just perfect for when you fancy a treat.
Baking bread might sound complicated but wait till you try this recipe. It really simple and the combination of coconut and blueberries will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Ingredients (Serves 12)
– 1 1/4 cup buckwheat superfine flour
– 2 1/2 tbsp melted Coconpure coconut oil,
– 1 cup bread flour (I used Gluten-Free Bread Mix)
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla paste (or essence)
– 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
– 1 cup toasted coconut
– 1 1/2 cup blueberries
– pinch of salt
1) Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
2) Spread the desiccated coconut on a baking sheet, and bake it for 5-8 minutes until it turns golden brown. Make sure to stir the coconut every couple of minutes so that it toasts evenly.
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt, and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla and milk.
4) Pour the liquids into the flour mixture. Whisk until all the ingredients are well combined.
5) Add in the toasted coconut (leave a bit to sprinkle on top of the bread) and then the blueberries, and mix gently until well combined.
6) Now, transfer the batter into the loaf pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle some toasted coconut on top.
7) Bake the bread for 65-70 minutes, checking with a toothpick if the centre is cooked. It will be cooked once an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
…In the meantime put your feet up and relax!
8) Once the bread is ready, take it out of the oven and leave to cool for about 15 minutes before taking it out of the tin.
9) Once cool, it should be enough to serve 12 portions or more.
(Per serving – serves 12)
Calories – 219
Protein – 3g
Fat – 9g
Carbs – 30g