Move over, oats – there’s a new (pseudo) cereal in town. Try this quinoa bowl recipe for an ultra-tasty, gluten-free breakfast.
Had enough of the usual protein porridge for breakfast? We hear you. It turns out the nutritional powerhouse, quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), isn’t just for salads anymore. In fact, when cooked like porridge, quinoa makes a super-creamy breakfast that we think might just trump your morning protein oats. Check out our favourite quinoa bowl recipe below.
The consumption of quinoa has absolutely soared in popularity lately, but just what exactly is so darn good about it?
Well, quinoa is a naturally gluten-free psuedocereal that’s actually been consumed for thousands of years in parts of South America. It’s a fantastic source of the essential minerals, phosphorus (vital for human energy metabolism) and manganese (important for development, metabolism and antioxidant pathways), and a pretty decent source of folate, iron, zinc, magnesium and fibre.
Like oats, the taste of quinoa is pretty nondescript, so we suggest mixing in a scoop of your favourite protein powder to liven up your bowl.
We tried Active Women Beauty Superfood Blend – containing a carefully selected range of natural superfoods to improve and maintain the appearance of your hair, skin and nails, and brimming with vegan-friendly protein.
Click to jump straight to the nutritionals.
Don’t forget to check out more delicious fitness recipes.
- 50g uncooked white quinoa
- 75ml milk (of choice)
- 75ml tinned reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1 scoop Active Women Beauty Superfood Blend (or your favourite protein powder)
- 1 tsp. Cacao Powder
- 3-4 squares dark chocolate
- 1 tsp. Maple Syrup
1. First, thoroughly rinse the uncooked quinoa in a sieve or strainer. Once rinsed, place a small saucepan on a medium to high heat, and toast the quinoa for 1-2 minutes, moving around occasionally to prevent from burning.
2. Once the quinoa has turned golden brown, pour in your milk of choice and the tinned coconut milk. Bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and soft. Simmer the quinoa for longer if necessary until it reaches your desired consistency, or add a touch more milk if you prefer the mixture to be a little thinner.
3. Once cooked, quickly stir through the cacao powder and Beauty Superfood Blend or your preferred protein powder, then pour into a bowl. Top with dark chocolate squares, blueberries and drizzle of maple syrup, or your favourite toppings.
Enjoy this quinoa bowl recipe? Check out more delicious fitness recipes.