This fusion fakeaway is the ultimate feast of flavours.
Niall Kirkland is serving up this absolute delight for your weekend dinner plans. He’s taken everyone’s favourite Greek guilty pleasure food and given it an Indian twist with a simple curry marinade, spiced mint yoghurt sauce, and, of course, a dollop of mango chutney.
Honestly, if you’re after seriously satisfying, feel-good food then you have to try this. It might seem like a few more steps than you’re used to, but it’s surprisingly easy to nail and the outcome is so tasty it’s well worth your time.
For the chicken marinade:
- 500g chicken thighs
- 200g plain yoghurt (full fat is best)
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ a lemon
For the mint-yoghurt sauce:
- 1 green chilli (deseeded & chopped)
- 1 handful mint (stalks removed)
- 1 handful coriander (stalks removed)
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 200g plain yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. garam masala
- A small squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 red pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 green pepper (roughly chopped)
- 4 flatbreads (heat slightly before making gyros)
- Vine tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- Coriander leaves (roughly chopped)
- Mango chutney (1 tsp. per gyros)
- Mix together the marinade ingredients until fully combined, then add your chicken thighs and coat. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the green chilli, coriander, mint leaves, olive oil and a splash of water to a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Add this mixture to a bowl with plain yoghurt, garlic, cumin, garam masala, and lemon juice and mix well to combine.
- When you’re ready to cook the chicken thighs, remove from fridge 10 minutes before cooking to allow them to slowly come to room temp. Then heat a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet, add chicken thighs, and cook for around 5 minutes on each side. Make sure they are cooked through before removing and set aside.
- Add peppers into the pan, skin side down, and cook until they’re slightly soft and charred.
- Slice your chicken thighs into thin strips. Make sure the rest of your garnishes are ready to serve and then build your gyros. First add a generous amount of mint-yoghurt sauce to the base of your flatbread, then pile on the chicken, pepper, red onion slices, and tomatoes. Top with mango chutney and coriander — then tuck in to a truly epic fakeaway.