If you haven’t already heard about the green powder that’s turning up on everyone’s newsfeeds, matcha tea is a finely ground powder made from specially grown tea leaves. Shade-growth allows the tea plant to produce more caffeine and theanine – giving matcha its characteristic ability to produce a wonderful calm energy after consumption.
Matcha is traditionally grown in Japan and has been consumed for hundreds of years in Japanese tea ceremonies, but more recently its application has been widened to latte-making due to its frothability, smooth, creamy finish and stunning umami flavour. Combined with just a touch of vanilla and nutmeg, we think this matcha latte recipe is the perfect way to enjoy matcha tea.
Ingredients For Our Matcha Latte Recipe
- 200ml cold milk (of choice)
- 8 ice cubes, or as much as you need to fill the glass
- Pinch nutmeg
- 5g Organic Matcha Powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Place the ice cubes into a tall glass. Pour over the cold milk, leaving a little space at the top for the matcha layer.
2. Next, add the nutmeg and vanilla and stir.
3. In a separate glass or jug, whisk the matcha powder and vanilla extract in 30ml boiling water using a fork or a small whisk, until no lumps remain.
4. Slowly pour the matcha layer over the top of the milk and ice. A layer of matcha will form on top of the milk. Consume straight away and enjoy your silky smooth iced matcha latte.
Check out more healthy recipes here!