Is there anything peanut butter can’t improve?
Niall Kirkland is back with another deliciously simple bake for you to get stuck into. These gooey peanut butter flapjacks are a super-sweet snack to get you through the long days of lockdown.
There’s something unbeatable about the humble flapjack — those sticky oats are an instant mood-booster, right? And we think the addition of the nation’s favourite nutty spread makes these even better.
Niall’s used honey for a natural sweetener and coconut oil in place of butter, meaning this bake is that little bit healthier — and can be made totally plant-based too. Just use whichever milk alternative you prefer.
- 200g jumbo rolled oats
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 175g peanut butter
- 70g honey
- 25g coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 100ml milk of choice
- 100g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/ 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, cinnamon, and salt and set aside.
- In a microwavable bowl, add the peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla and microwave for 60 seconds.
- Once microwaved, stir together well, add the milk and mix again.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
- Then, transfer the mixture to an 8”x8” baking tray and flatten with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake your flapjack mixture for 15-20 minutes before removing and allowing to cool for around 10 minutes.
- Next, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave. Once melted, pour the chocolate on top of the baked flapjack and use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly across the surface.
- Place your chocolate-coated flapjack in a fridge or freezer until the chocolate has set.
- Once set, remove from fridge/freezer, slice into 16 evenly sized flapjacks and enjoy!