Try making these classic Christmas biscuits.
Biscotti are traditional Italian almond biscuits that are twice-baked for an irresistible crunch. They’re the perfect treat to enjoy alongside your tea or coffee — or if you’re feeling extra indulgent they’re best just dunked straight into some Protein Spread.
Of course, we had to get an authentic touch on a recipe like this, which is why we asked our favourite Italian baker, Florencia (aka. healthy_floflo), to share her simple 5-ingredient version. You don’t have to be super-confident in the kitchen to get these right, plus it’s a great festive activity to get you into the spirit this weekend.
You could even make up a batch and give them to your family and friends for an easy homemade gift solution!
Makes 20-22 biscuits
- 175g flour
- 70g sugar
- 1 whole egg and 1 white
- 50g almonds (chopped)
- 60g dark chocolate (chopped)
- Protein Spread to dip
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat together the whole egg and egg white in a bowl, then add the flour and sugar. Mix until evenly combined in a dough.
- Add the chopped almonds and dark chocolate chunks and stir through the dough.
- Sprinkle a little plain flour over your work surface or a chopping board and then half the dough into two evenly-sized pieces by pulling apart with your hands. Roll out each half into a long baguette shape and then slightly flatten.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes then carefully remove from the oven and place on a chopping board. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing into pieces.
- Place the biscotti pieces back on a baking tray and bake for another 10 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool before enjoying immediately! They’re delicious on their own but even better dunked into our Protein Spread.