Wondering how to ripen avocados fast?
There’s nothing worse than waking up on a Saturday morning ready for a nice brunch with bae, to find that avocado you were about to smash into your toast resembles an actual stone (there are probably worse things, but this is seriously up there).
Well, don’t worry, because we’ve tested out the best ways to ripen your avocado, plus one way to ripen your avocado in literally minutes.
1. Ripen in 3-4 days: Brown paper bag
It’s Tuesday night and you’ve just bought rock-hard avocados in preparation for some delicious weekend guac. To make sure they ripen right on time, simply pop them into a brown paper bag, use a food clip to close the bag and leave it on the kitchen top until the weekend.
The science: Avocados naturally slowly release ethylene gas, which is the chemical that makes them ripen. By keeping them in a container that concentrates the gas but still allows the avocado to ‘breathe’, like a paper bag, your avo will be perfectly ripe just in time for your Mexican fiesta.
2. Ripen in 1-2 days: Brown paper bag with fruit
Only got a day or two to go ’till guac-o’clock? To make your avocados ripen even faster, this time, put them into a brown paper bag along with a couple of apples or ripe bananas and close up the bag with a food clip. Store them on the kitchen top and count down the days until you get to smash into a deliciously ripe avocado.
The science: These fruits also release ethylene gas which, when concentrated in the paper bag, will cause your avocados to ripen even faster than if they were on their own.
3. Ripen in 20 minutes: Bake them
This is the most genius avocado hack we’ve ever seen. It’s an emergency: you forgot to check the ripeness of your avocados and it’s time to make your guacamole/avocado toast/other ripe avocado creation, but your avocados are about as solid as your plastic protein shaker.
To get perfectly ripe avocados in 20 minutes, first, turn your oven up to 95°C/200°F. While you wait for the oven to heat up, tightly wrap your avocados in tin foil without leaving any gaps.
Pop them onto a baking tray and into the oven for 10 minutes. Check the progress of the avocado and leave it in there until it feels ripe (being careful not to burn yourself). Depending on its ripeness when you put it in the oven, it might be even sooner than 10 minutes.
Once the avocados feel soft, remove them from the oven and put them into the fridge to cool down for about 10 minutes. Et Voilà! Perfectly ripe avocados.
4. Buy them ripe
You’re buying your avocados and you want them to be in your mouth the minute you get home. The most obvious thing to do would be to simply buy ripe avocados! But how to choose the best one?
1. Check the colour. With most varieties, you’ll want to look for an almost black-coloured skin with only a hint of green. A few avocado varieties will remain green like the Fuerte, Reed and Bacon, so there are a couple of other things you should look at, too.
2. Hold the avocado in your palm and very gently squeeze it. It should be a little soft but still firm. Be careful not to squeeze it too hard, as it can cause bruising and ruin it.
3. Once you’ve gone through the steps above, remove the stem and take a look at what’s underneath – if it’s green, it’s good, and if it’s brown, it’s overripe.
Enjoy this how to ripen avocados article?