Bring back the ultimate nostalgia with this healthy makeover of your favourite childhood dish – Turkey Twizzlers!
Banned from school dinners back in ’05 for containing too many dodgy ingredients and too much fat, we miss the Twizzler dearly. Fortunately, you can make the ultimate healthy Turkey Twizzlers yourself with just 5 simple ingredients.
They’re ridiculously easy to make, high in protein and low in fat and carbs – and we’ve even got a healthy ketchup recipe to accompany them.
Ingredients For Turkey Twizzlers
For the twizzlers:
- 4 turkey sausages
- 3 tbsp. plain or wholemeal flour
- 2 egg whites (beaten)
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. Coconut Oil (melted)
For the ketchup:
- 150g tomato puree
- 3 tbsp. Organic Maple Syrup
- 1.5 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Pinch sea salt and black pepper
1. First, preheat your oven to 180°C.
2. Next, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the turkey sausages. Boil the sausages for at least 10 minutes or until they are no longer pink in the centre.
3. Once boiled, place a long wooden skewer through the length of each sausage, then carefully cut a spiral into each.
4. Pull the sausage spiral down the skewer a little from each side, so that it now resembles your favourite childhood treat.
5. Now prepare a small bowl of flour, then another with beaten egg whites, and a third bowl with your breadcrumbs. Coat each sausage with flour, then egg whites, then breadcrumbs.
6. Place the coated sausages onto a baking tray and drizzle with the melted coconut oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Whilst waiting for the Twizzlers to bake, make your healthy ketchup by combining all ketchup ingredients in a bowl.
8. Once baked, dip your Twizzlers and enjoy your childhood memories the healthy way!